Filing Procedures Have Changed
The Conservation Commission meeting are currently held remotely. Any applications filed will need to submit a digital copy and 2 physical and copies of all applications, plans, and any other supporting documents.
Please find a list of the Conservation Meeting Dates for 2023, and submittal deadline dates, HERE.
Minor Modification Policy 10/17/2022
On October 17, 2022 The Ashland Conservation Commission approved a Minor Modification Policy to address minor modifications and field changes that would be impractical to proceed with a formal Amended Order for. This policy can be accessed HERE.
Ashland Conservation Commission
The Town of Ashland has a locally regulated Bylaw (Section 280 of the Ashland Town Code) that is administered by the Conservation Commission. The Wetlands Protection Bylaw establishes a 25 foot No Disturb Zone to wetlands, vernal pools, banks (to ponds, streams or rivers), and other resource areas.
The Ashland Conservation Commission requires permitting for any work within 200 feet of a perennial stream or river, 100 feet to a wetland, bank of pond or stream, or within the 100 year floodplain (Zones A and AE of the Flood Insurance Rate Maps), or within other resource areas protected by the Wetlands Protection Act or Bylaw.
The Conservation Commission also administers the Stormwater Management Regulations (Section 343 of the Ashland Town Code). This bylaw, requires a Stormwater Management Permit for:
- Any activity subject to Site Plan Review (Ashland Town Code Section 282-6)
- Any activity that will result in the alteration or soil disturbance of 10,000 square feet or more, or that will increase the amount of impervious surfaces to more than 50% of the property or lot.
- Any redevelopment of a commercial, industrial, institutional or multifamily residential parcel (Ashland Town Code Section 282-99)
- Any activity that will disturb land with a slope greater than 15% and where the land disturbance is greater than or equal to 5,000 square feet within the sloped area and;
- Any activity that will alter, fill or degrade a wetland, body of water, floodplain or isolated depression subject to flooding.
There is another Stormwater Management Bylaw (Chapter 247 of the Ashland Town Code) not to be confused with the aforementioned bylaw. The second Stormwater Management Bylaw (Section 247) is for compliance with the Environmental Protection Agency's National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System.