Meeting Room Policy
Meeting Room Policy
The Ashland Public Library has three rooms available for use by community groups and associations. The Schiesske meeting room seats no more than 90 people, the Children's program room seats no more than 25 people, and the Cheever conference room seats no more than 12 people.
Library meeting rooms are primarily for the use of the library, library related organizations, and library sponsored programs. When not in use by the library staff or library related organizations, the rooms may be used for meetings of local groups and organizations, according to the following guidelines and conditions:
A. General Conditions:
- Rooms may be booked by non-profit groups holding public meetings that are free of charge and open to the public. (See Section B Application) A charge for the cost of materials used by participants in a program may be made.
- Meeting rooms are not available for social gatherings, for the benefit of private individuals, for commercial enterprises, or any closed meeting.
- No admittance fee may be charged or contributions solicited except for library fundraisers.
- Goods or materials may not be sold or advertised at the meeting without the permission of the Library Board of Trustees.
- The size of the group cannot exceed the capacity of the specific meeting room (see above).
- The group or association is responsible for the security, safety and behavior of the group. Children must be supervised by group members and pick up of children must be monitored by the group. (Please see Unattended Child policy).
- Use of the meeting space cannot interfere with the normal operation of the library.
- People attending meetings held in the meeting rooms are asked to park in the Municipal lots that are available near the library.
- Library staff telephones and fax machines are not available for public use.
- Library staff is not responsible for relaying messages to individuals in the meeting rooms.
- Permission for use of the room is not transferable by any individual or group.
- No smoking is allowed on library property.
- No alcoholic beverages may be dispensed or consumed on library property.
- No open flame is permitted at any time.
- Any groups using the meeting room(s) will be responsible for providing any accommodations related to ADA.
- Any questions of interpretation of this policy will be referred to the Library Board of Trustees and no meetings will be booked until that Board renders a decision.
- Any infraction of these guidelines may result in loss of facilities use privileges for the group or association.
- The Library Board of Trustees reserves the right to refuse the use of the library meeting rooms or cancel any reservation when they deem the action to be in the best interest of the Library and/or Town.
- Completed applications must be submitted at least 48 hours in advance of the meeting.
- The application must be completed and submitted by a resident of Ashland, at least 21 years of age, who shall be personally responsible for the conduct of the meeting, adherence to regulations, the payment of any fees or charges and any damage to library property.
- The applicant shall be in attendance when the meeting room is in use.
- All inquiries concerning meetings will be referred to the person that completed the application.
- Cancellation of meeting room reservations is required 24 hours in advance. Failure to notify the library of cancellation may result in denial of future requests and the forfeit of any meeting room fee.
- Meeting rooms may be reserved up to 3 months in advance of the meeting to allow flexibility in the arrangement of library programs. This limit applies to both single and repeat bookings.
- No custodial services are provided in connection with use of the meeting rooms.
- Light refreshments may be served in the large meeting room and the group or association is responsible for leaving the room in a clean and orderly condition.
- Groups shall, at their own expense, procure any license or permit necessary for the conduct of their meetings and the license or permit must accompany the application for room use. (Ashland Board of Health should be contacted at (508) 881-0100 ext. 7128 for questions regarding permits.)
- Food and drink must be consumed in the meeting rooms or the café area.
- Upon request, the library may provide access to chairs, tables and kitchen facilities. Extra tables and chairs must be set up and taken down by the group. Tables must be covered to protect from glue, paint or other materials that could damage the furniture.
- Library audio visual/presentation equipment may not be compatible with all devices so compatibility should be tested prior to the meeting/presentation. The library does not provide USB cords and library staff is not available to assist with setup or troubleshooting.
- The piano may not be moved from the large meeting room.
- All food, trash and meeting related items must be removed by the group or association using the room at the end of the meeting.
- Nothing may be hung on the walls or windows of the meeting rooms. No balloons (latex or mylar) are allowed in the library.
- No storage facilities are provided.
- The meeting rooms are available during regular library hours and Monday – Thursday evenings until 9:30 p.m.
- Meeting rooms will not be available when the library is closed due to emergency conditions or inclement weather.
- The library is not responsible for costs incurred if a meeting is canceled due to circumstances beyond the library’s control.
- The library subscribes to the equitable use of its facilities. The use of the meeting room does not constitute an endorsement of an organizations policies or beliefs.
- All announcements, press releases, flyers, and other promotional work must clearly state the meeting or program is not sponsored by the Ashland Public Library.
- Groups may identify the library and provide its address in their publicity for the meeting, but may not use the library’s telephone number or invite potential attendees to contact the library.
- Neither the Trustees of the Ashland Public Library, nor the Town of Ashland shall be held responsible for injury to persons or property that may occur while a meeting room is being used.
- The library cannot be held responsible for materials, supplies, or equipment owned by the group and used by them in the library.
Draft – Adopted pending Town Manager/Town Counsel Review August 16, 2005
Amended September 20, 2005
Adopted as amended by Board of Trustees 10/18/05
Amended February 17, 2009
Amended January 17, 2012
Amended February 11, 2014
Amended January 19, 2016
Amended September 19, 2017
Amended February 19, 2019