- Boards & Commissions K - Z
- Zoning Board of Appeals
Zoning Board of Appeals
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agenda | View All Agendas and Minutes
The meeting schedule for 2022 can be found here.
The new application form can be found here.
If you have any questions at all on the application or the process, please feel free to contact the Planning Department at 508-881-0100 ext. 7930.
Current and Past ZBA Cases
If you are looking for information on a specific case, please click on the link on the left.
- John F. Trefethen, Chair
Term Expires 8/31/25
- Nathan Band
Term Expires 8/31/23
- Brian Forestal
Term Expires 8/31/24
- Stuart Siegel, Associate Term Expires 8/31/23
- Anton Tikhomirov
Term Expires 8/31/23
- Vacant - Associate (If you are interested in filling this vacancy please complete a Talent Bank Form)Term is one year
About the BoardThe Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) is a quasi-judicial appellate board which reviews Special Permit applications and Variance requests that have been denied by the Code Enforcement Officer (the Building Commissioner).
It is established and authorized by Massachusetts General Law Chapters 40A, 40B, and 41; as well as the zoning bylaws of the Town of Ashland.
All members of the ZBA are appointed by the Select Board. (3 Members "Full Members" appointed to 3 year terms and 4 are Associate Members appointed for a 1 year term.)
- Hears and decides appeals by persons aggrieved by an order or decision of the Inspector of Buildings or other administrative official, in violation of any provision of applicable law. In exercising its powers and responsibilities, the ZBA may make orders or decisions; may reverse or affirm in whole or in part or modify any order or decision of the enforcing officer or the Planning Board/Board of Selectmen, except when said Boards act as a Special Permit Granting Authority (SPGA), in limited cases; and may direct the issuance of a permit.
- Hears and decides appeals by persons aggrieved by reason of their inability to obtain a permit or enforcement action from any administrative office.
- Hears and decides applications for special permits upon which the board is empowered to act under the zoning bylaws.
- Hears and decides petitions for variances from the terms of the zoning bylaw, including variance for use, with respect to particular land or structures.