Senior Center Outreach: We are here to help YOU.
The Outreach Department provides services that support and enhance Ashland’s senior citizen’s quality of life.
HOW TO TELL IF YOUR ELDERLY LOVED ONE NEEDS HELP AT HOME
The following are 10 signs that a senior might need help at home:
1. A change in appearance or condition of the home - If Mom never cared much about her house, the fact that it's a little messier than usual might not indicate a problem. However, if the house was always spotless and decked out for the holidays, a messy home might mean trouble is brewing.
2. Clutter - Piles of magazines or clothing could be an indicator that an older adult needs more help.
3. Dirty or unkempt clothing - Lack of interest in appearance can be a sign of depression in a senior.
4. Unpaid bills - A pile of unpaid bills or correspondence is an alarming sign that could require a family caregiver to intervene immediately in the best interest of a loved one..
5. Fresh food replaced with junk food - A senior who loses interest in cooking, sometimes resorts to junk food.
6. Spoiled food in the fridge or freezer - Spoiled food could be an early sign that a senior no longer has an appetite and is not eating properly.
7. Bugs or rodents in the home - An older adult who can no longer clean a home properly may be vulnerable to bugs and rodents.
8. Confusion - Disorientation could be a sign of dementia, a problem with a medication or another medical issue that needs to be assessed by a doctor.
9. Unfilled prescriptions - Seniors could be forgetting to take their medications or cannot afford to refill them.
10. Spills on floors and counter tops - Older adults with mobility problems may no longer be able to clean up spills, reach high places to dust and change light bulbs, and bend under beds to take care of messes.
If you recognize one or more of these signs in a senior loved one and are looking for help, please call our Outreach Department for information and resources.
We can help you with:
- Assessment/ Home Visits
- Housing – Subsidized, Over 55, Assisted Living and Nursing Home
- Social Security/Medicare
- Transportation- http://www.mwrta.com/
- Legal services
- Adult Day Health
- Caregiving and Support Groups
- Application Assistance
- Fuel Assistance
- SNAP (Food Stamps)- https://food-stamps.org/
- Tax Exemptions